Monday, January 21, 2008

Impatience

Is it impatient to use the door close button in the elevator? I know that in some buildings they are no more than a placebo to give people the illusion that they have some control over it, but in our building they actually are quite functional. Is someone being impatient if the use them to merely to speed up their trip when there is no one else running for the elevator?

Now, when I get into an elevator with a stranger who has positioned themselves near the buttons (such that it's awkward for me to get in to the corner to push the door close button), and they themselves don't push the button, it feels like an eternity waiting for the door to close... think of all the things I could be doing with those 2.5 seconds of my life!

I figure that I might have saved about an average of 5 seconds a day using the door close button. That's about 2 minutes a month! or in the two and a half years that I've lived there, I've probably saved myself about a whole hour that would have been wasted in the elevator! Imagine the time I could have saved by living on the 9th floor instead of the 10th!

-kdh

1 comment:

Kern said...

I've noticed a lot of people here feel obliged to hit the "open" button when somebody else is getting off. Useful if 10 people are getting off, but utterly pointless if it's just one. The door isn't going to open any sooner or faster.

But I guess it's just a polite gesture.

Incidentally, when entering my elevator in the morning I always press the "close" button BEFORE selecting my floor. Performing floor-selection while the door is closing saves me a second or so.