Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Simple pleasures

This week at work, my computer has finally been set up properly to print!

Yep, that's it. For months I was going upstairs to a communal computer which I happened to know had the ability to print whenever I needed a hard copy of something. I now titter with glee whenever I try to print something and it works (okay, maybe I don't actually titter... but I'm pretty happy about it).

What is it about printing that is so difficult? I remember in undergrad, if I had something that I needed to print out to hand in, I would always have to give myself at least an hour to print it. Paper jams, out of service printers, bad network connections, people who decide to print out the unabridged encyclopedia Britannica... I'm sure I ran into each of these troubles more than once.

I've always managed to avoid actually having my own printer at home by either sponging off my roommates or bringing the files into work to print (from the known good computer, of course). For someone in my profession, I think I have a fairly strange attitude towards computers: if it ain't completely broke don't fix it! In general, I feel that any adjustments that I might make to my computer are tantamount to putting any functionality that I do currently have on the line for a chance to get added functionality. I guess I'm risk averse when it comes to my computer!

-Kevin "I hope writing this doesn't break my computer" Harris

4 comments:

Karen Lew said...

Agreed. I also allowed at least one hour for printing while in undergrad and grad school for that matter. I titter with glee at school because I can connect wirelessly to our department colour laser printer. It even does colour transparencies. No more emailing documents to myself or running around with a memory key. Unless I want to print on legal-sized paper. But I can live with that.

Karen Lew said...

Simple pleasures could be a series of posts if you're looking for material.

Kevin said...

True. Mostly lately I've found little time to post (I know it takes only a few short minutes)

Kevin said...

Update: printing isn't working again. :(