Thursday, July 17, 2008

Elevator Etiquette

The other day I got in the elevator after locking my bike up on P1, there was already someone in the elevator who has pressed their floor (I think it was 4), so as usual, I pressed my floor (higher than 4) , the doors closed and we were merrily on our way. We got to the 4th floor, the doors open... and no one moves. I sort of glanced over at her in a "I'm not leering" kind of way, but got no reaction. The doors close, at which point I assume that she's forgotten something in her car and needs to head back down to get it, so she's just going to stay in the elevator and go back down. But just as the doors are opening at my floor, I see her snap back to coherence and press 4 again.

Should I have alerted her that 4, the button she pressed, was probably where she wanted to get off while the doors were open? Should I have coughed to get her attention? Or should I have just assumed she knew what she was doing (as I did)?

-kdh

3 comments:

Jesse said...

Maybe she was intimidated by your presence and thought you might be following her so she didn't get out at the fourth floor?

Rebecca said...

Being a well known flake myself .. if I don't get off an elevator at the floor of the button I've pressed, it could be for any number of reasons. The two most likely are: 1) I'm zoned out and don't realized the elevator has stopped at my floor or 2) I pressed the wrong button and am hoping you aren't going to notice then I'll wait 'till you leave to press the correct button so as not to inconvenience you anymore.

Normally, if I've pressed the wrong button and other people are in the elevator I'll get out at whatever floor I pressed and then wait for the next elevator.

If I zoned out, as it seems this woman did, I would have hoped someone would have said something. In fact, someone often does. I get reminders like "this is four" or "are you going to four?".

Can you tell how often this has happened to me?

Sheesh.

Kern said...

If not for the fact that she pressed four again (in your sight) as you were getting off, I would have gone with fear.

That's probably because I'm in Japan, and I've seen programs teaching women how to avoid potentially dangerous elevator situations (although actually, in the fear scenario her best plan would be to (a) pretend to get a phone call and get out immediately and/or (b) hit a bunch of other random buttons so you don't know which one she originally pressed).