Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The internet is like CityTV.... it's Everywhere!

I have found myself hiding from the cold and blustery winds and ground-shy snow during this "Spring isn't here yet" reminder by having a warm tea in a greasy spoon diner at the corner of Elgin Mills Rd. and Bayview Av. in the "heart" of Richmond Hill (the diner is aptly named "Baymills Diner"). In any case, biding my time here waiting for a ride the rest of the way to volleyball with CP24 having given up all the morsels of information that I'm going to find interesting I wondered if I might find an internet connection here. I realized, that I could probably hook my laptop up to my blackberry and surf that way (or even just surf on the blackberry itself)... but that seemed like it would be too much work. So I simply searched to see if I could find any undefended wireless routers, lo and behold... there was one!

The signal wasn't very strong, but it was strong enough to surf... probably slightly better than dial up, but more than enough to do this blogging. Now, I might expect to be able to find a connection in a more dense neighbourhood (like down town... or frankly even at an intersection that had buildings on every corner). It's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere, but there isn't much here!

Anyway, you really can get internet access almost anywhere... and actually anywhere if you are willing to pay for it.

No comments: