Thursday, April 5, 2007

Maybe I should stick to basketball!!!

...not that I'm particularly good at basketball... but I feel like I'm getting quite atrocious at volleyball. It's mostly that my hitting is particluarly bad, so much so, that last night I decided after hitting about 10 either into the net or way out the back (that's 0-for-10) that I would just dump the ball whenever I was set. My passing and setting were probably about the same as usual, that is to say, lazy and inconsistent... but my hitting was atrocious.

I was never a particularly good hitter when I played consistently in high school... I was mostly there because I was tall and was sort of average all around... but tall. But my hitting has been slowly getting worse and worse over time, which I think is probably attributable to two main factors. First, I don't play regularly, and when I do play, we never do drills or hitting line, so I don't really get any rapid repetition that I think is good for maintaining and improving this type of skill. And second, that I'm probably 50 pounds heavier than I was in high school, so I just don't jump as high over the net (frankly, I really barely jump at all).

I don't expect to be at the same level that I was in high school, I just expect to be not horrible. Basketball doesn't offer the same disappointment, not because I'm really any better, but rather because I was never any good. I didn't play at all in high school, and I didn't really ever play consistently until a few years ago when I started playing in an adult league... and in these leagues, it's mostly enough just to be tall. By contrast, the people I play volleyball with are all quite good.

I don't think I'll ever really quit volleyball, it's just very frustrating at times.

-KDH (I've been forgetting to sign my posts lately)

3 comments:

Jesse said...

You're right, we don't do any sort of drills to warm up. I think it would be a good idea and would benefit everyone. I'll suggest it next time :)

As for getting frustrated, it just seems like you give up after awhile without trying to figure out what's going on. I know its challenging at times during a game. Maybe if we do a more proper warm up, the reps will give you more confidence!

Lastly, you're not horrible at volleyball, you a good player especially when you consider how often you've played the last few years!

As for basketball, you're unstoppable in our gym :)

Kevin said...

When there are push-ups on the line, my team can't afford for me to keep hitting them into the net or out after the first 10 or so!

Karen Lew said...

Your entry did not include the MOST important skill in volleyball --- blocking!

I know the feeling, though. A bad day in a sport you expect to do well (or at least much better) in is very discouraging. I've had those several times this year in curling and certainly in ultimate.