Thursday, February 28, 2008

Toilets (part 3: gender ratio)

At my workplace, we occupy two floors of an office building. On each floor there is one bathroom for men, and one for women. In the men's room, there is one toilet and two urinals, in the women's room, there are three toilets. Now this seems reasonable... the problem is, our office (as with many offices in our industry) is populated with mostly men. I don't know the exact numbers, but my guess would be that in total, we have about 40 men (maybe 50) and 6 women. So, as you can see, each woman at our company, has her own personalize toilet stall (I've never been in the women's washroom... but I wouldn't be surprised if they had name plates on the doors to the stalls).

It has gotten to the point where when the men's stall are full, there are guys who have availed themselves of the facilities in the women's washroom... and were caught by our HR person... who happens to be a woman.

We have suggested that perhaps on one of the two floors we could swap the signs on the doors so that the men's washroom has three stalls on that floor and the women's washroom had urinals, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen. For the most part, it's just a minor nuisance but there are times where it moves up to a minor pain when one of the (two) mens' stalls has a problem, so now we are down to 40 men, 1 toilet.

I do realize that a similar but opposite problem happens at sporting complexes all over the world, but unless you are going to a hockey game every night, it probably doesn't effect you as often!

-KDH

3 comments:

Karen Lew said...

Can of worms!

I don't exactly have the authority to speak on behalf of all women but: We do not want to share toilets with you.

My father-in-law comes over twice a week. I clean my guest toilet twice a week. I know if he has used the toilet because there is evidence of it on the top of the bowl and/or its inside surface _every_ time. I can only assume then that the floor right in front of the toilet is also suspect. So I clean that, too. Look carefully.

Men, please sit or use some toilet paper to wipe the top of the toilet bowl after peeing.

I realise that you're talking about situations when you need to sit and so the extra gravitational potential energy of the pee that comes from standing doesn't come in to play. But I can see why your HR person was not happy to discover that men were using the women's washroom.

I hope at the least that the one-stall washroom you are offering to the women isn't the one that is regularly out of order.

Kevin said...

I'm not suggesting sharing washroom... simply swapping!

And I don't care which one we swap... just one of them... the girls can choose!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.