Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Self Reference.

This post is great!

Okay, that's not really what I wanted to say. Today a friend of mine sent me a youtube link to a k.d. lang performance of a Leonard Cohen song "Hallelujah" (it was also in the movie Shrek). I find that I enjoy lyrics, like in this song, that have a playful cleverness about them. The lyrics I'm referring to are:

I've heard there was a special chord
that David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, Do ya?
It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth
The minor Fall, The major lift,
The baffled king composing, hallelujah


The clever part, of course, is that the music follows the chords as described in the song. I don't know what it is about self reference that I find so amusing... but I can't wait to see what more Hofstadter will say about it in GEB!

-KDH

p.s. Hung out with Kristin for a bit last night... quite a caper... a few antics as well!

1 comment:

Kern said...

I sang that song to myself practically every day for months after watching "Shrek".

Well, actually I only sang the part you quoted above, because that's the part in the movie. I think the self-reference is part of what I liked about it too.