Monday, August 13, 2007

do re memememe

As prompted, here are 8 random things about me:

1. I read in the bathroom (it's not usually the main purpose of my visit there)

2. Of all the computer engineers I know, I am the one who is most afraid of making any hardware change on their computer. I really am of the mind "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and it leads me to often accept non-ideal situations on my computer.

3. I don't really like performing for audiences (which is kind of strange for someone who sings in a performing chorus and quartet).

4. My trip to Taiwan on my honeymoon made me feel the tallest, the fattest and the most white I have ever felt.

5. I have a blog (I guess you already know that)

6. I have never owned a cell phone (I have carried one for work for the past couple years, but I've never had to pay for one... we'll see if two years of carrying a work cell phone has left me such that I can't live without it once I leave my current job and the cell phone behind).

7. I don't have a driver's license. (I guess that is not technically true, as I do have a G1 license, which is the first stage of the graduated licensing scheme here... I will also point out, before one of my "friends" does in the comments that this is the second G1 I have had after letting the first one expire through sheer laziness, and that I also did have what was know as a "365" well before the graduated licensing system was adopted, but it also expired through the very same laziness)

8. I am much better at learning to understand a language than I am at learning to speak that language. I think this is probably true of most people, but I think it is especially true in my case because I'm fairly good at extracting information out of whatever context I can (which aids in understanding), and I don't like trying to speak when I know I will be inept at it (which is a huge hinderance to learning a language).

Alright, so now I've got to pass this off to someone.... to keep this as a fully connected graph ("9. I'm a nerd"), I'm going to pass it to someone who does not usually post on their blog, but really, they are covered by the title... over to you Dion (a member of the Lew Family Blog family [sic]). I will also open the floor to others (MarkMark, I guess that would still have been fully connected too, Jesse and Pam, and whoever else reads this)

7 comments:

Kern said...

Ironically, starting down the road to a license three times and letting it lapse is (in hindsight) a poor road for the lazy person.

If you just get yourself over the finish line you won't have to worry about going and trying again every few years.

Learning to drive is a lot easier than learning a language. It's primarily a matter of extracting useful information from your environment (primarily visually) and responding to it physically, which I believe you're pretty good at. There is rarely much of an audience, and you don't have to speak (or sing) unless you choose to.

Karen Lew said...

I miss Kern. He's so funny.

Karen Lew said...

1. Remind me not to lend you any more books. Just kidding. I don't mind you reading our books in the bathroom. Just don't leave them in there.

2. All? Really.

3. I think most things about you are probably strange. Again just kidding.

4. I expected to feel very tall and very white in China but I didn't.

5. You were really stretching for that one.

6. How counter-cultural of you.

7. I really am willing to let you practice with our car.

8. I think inhibition is probably the greatest hindrance to language acquisition for most adults. On the other hand, I, for the most part, am will to make a complete a*se of myself to speak to people.

Kevin said...

Actually... the bathroom reading, as you can well imagine, is mostly things that are good in very short bursts (which isn't most books that I would and have borrowed from you). They tend to be things like Calvin and Hobbes collections, or trivia type books, newsletters, magazines... that sort of thing.

As for China, maybe if you had been in a room with only women you might have felt tall, but having men around eased the feeling for you? It could also be that people in the places you went are mostly taller than the people in Taiwan. I didn't really have the same feeling in Hong Kong.

Karen Lew said...

Kevin,
I think I would probably be comparing to everyday around Toronto, so in mixed company. But probably, most of the places I visited had taller people than Taiwan.

Gina said...

I actually found people in taiwan (kaoshiung area) to be much taller than people in japan or in canton province in china!

Unknown said...

I decline. I don't keep a blog so I'm never forced to post on it.