Friday, August 10, 2007

I'm in a quartet again

After a long hiatus from my last quartet (the Humbugs... no pseudo-spoonerisms please), I have now found myself singing baritone again in a quartet. Chameleon was looking for a new singer and asked me to audition, at the time not knowing whether I might sing lead (which I sing in the Northern Lights) or baritone (which is what I sang in the Humbugs). Following a fairly lengthy audition process (largely because our schedules conspired against us in quite a serious way) we decided that the sound was best with me singing baritone and Dave continuing to sing lead. He's got a real clarion quality to his voice which suits lead singing in the barbershop style, while I have a rounder and broader sounding voice (these adjectives might sound strange to non-singers) which suits the baritone part. I tried to convince the "boys" (I am the oldest in the quartet by a good margin, but they're not really boys... I just call them that) that one thing to consider is that I'd likely learn the lead line quite quickly, while the baritone line for songs(which is considered by most to be fairly tricky in this style) might take me longer to learn. They somehow were convinced that it wouldn't be a problem and I would learn quickly enough. We'll see!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I can't believe I finally get to know about your quartet! Congratulations on successfully achieving the role. They look like a fun group.

Karen Lew said...

Gratz. I'm impressed that their, that is your, website is reasonably current.

Kevin said...

Yeah, Dave is reasonably vigilant about updating it. He's a student, you see :)

Jesse said...

That's a pretty funny about us/bio! Does Joel ever bust out an inspirational speech during your rehearsals?

Kevin said...

Not so much.

Kern said...

Congratulations!

Man, I'm way out of date. I had heard of Chameleon, but forgot who they were until I checked the link. Had no idea they were District Champs last year!

I find the idea of Kevin being the oldest member of a quartet absolutely hilarious. I guess I still think of our generation as the Society's young bucks. :)