Monday, March 19, 2007

Vacation!

It's time to start planning vacation, and I think that you (yes, you!) could be of some help. Susanna and I talked about what we should do this year for our vacation, which all but absolutely needs to be in the summer, as Susanna is a teacher and is therefore at the mercy of the school year. After a short discussion, it seems like Europe is the likely winner for a few reasons. First, we could spend some time in Berlin, where my sister lives (as does one of my faithful readers) which would be good because we'd get to see Kim, Thomas and Kristin... and because we'd likely have free lodging... which is always good. Second, Susanna has never been to Europe, so the plan is that we could possibly spend some time in places other than Berlin.

Here is where you come in. We need some suggestions as to where to spend our time. There are a few details that may help you decide what would be a decent plan, and what would be too much or too far. Without checking with work about a vacation schedule, I'm hoping that I'll be able to get two weeks, and I think the plan was to spend one of those in Berlin, or at least a portion of a week... it's likely that Susanna will stay on for a week or so after/before me in Berlin (I haven't asked my sister yet... so don't blow my cover). The timing for this trip will likely be August. I have been to Europe before on a few occassions, which isn't to say that I wouldn't go back to somewhere I had been.

So, any ideas?

5 comments:

Karen Lew said...

You're already planning to go to my favourite city. I've always wanted to go to St. Petersburg. It'd be great if you scouted it for us.

We found Andalucia (Southern Spain) very interesting, scenic, and affordable. Then again, we were there in November before the Euro. I also enjoyed Scotland quite a bit. I think you would enjoy the Fort William area - there's nice hiking.

Kevin said...

Scotland sounds nice, but I'm worried we'll have language problems... I'd prefere to go somewhere we might find people who speak English (or a bit of French or German) :)

Rebecca said...

I'm sure everyone has a different sense of what makes a good vacation. In my world, time spent driving or on a train is not always time well spent. I would much rather spend my time _in_ a city than getting there. That said, I'd stick to places that you could reach in a day or less of travel and to two spots other than Berlin. Prague and Paris? I think Spain and Portugal are too far but I haven't looked at a train schedule in a long time. If you're willing to take those great cheap flights between cities then in my mind you have many more options.

B.

Unknown said...

come to copenhagen! we'll go biking!!

Anonymous said...

I once watched a movie that said White Castle was a good destination. Is that in Europe?