Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Who's Next?

Next in the line of introductions, because Rebecca already foreshadowed his arrival, is Kern. Kern is a big guy... so big, in fact, that he not only has a blog, but it's a whole planet... "Planet Kern". Kern and I sang together for a numbers of years in a quartet named "Terminal Barbershop". We also lived in the same house for a while (also living with a number of my other readers (I shouldn't say other, because I'm not sure that Kern actually reads)), where Kern lived in the basement apartment of the house we were all sharing. That configuration seemed to suit Kern's part-party-animal-part-recluse personality well, when he felt like it, he could hide behind his apartment door... and when he discovered something exciting he wanted to share, there was usually someone one door and one flight of stairs away.

Nowadays, Kern is slightly farther away, teaching english in Japan (and also learning Japanese... and quite well, as I understand). There is talk that he will one day come back and go to teacher's college (teachers' college? teacher college? college for teachers?). I think only time will tell on this one, I do have another friend who went to Japan to teach english, and he never came back! Well okay, he did come back, but only for visiting... but as the said on Tales of the Riverbank: "but that's another story."

Incidentally, Kern's blog is the first one on my list that is not hosted by blogspot... I wonder if they are going to sanction me for linking off-site?

-KDH

p.s. the string of punctuation marks in the titles is still alive and kicking.

2 comments:

Karen Lew said...

I like your description of Kern - "part-party-animal-part-recluse."

I think that we all have certain aspects in which we fit both extremes at times. A couple of more examples:
Julian - hippie-come-yuppie (sp?)
Dion - techie luddite

Kern said...

I do indeed read your blog; found you via Kristin's. I was just waiting for a formal introduction. :)

Incidentally, the part-party-animal-part-recluse thing hasn't changed a bit; I say without fear of contradiction that I'm the most shy (shiest?) Reggae star in Osaka.